3.12.03

Has Kazaa Lite been taken over by the heavies?On August 11, 2003, Kazaa served Google with cease-and-desist orders, as it was enforcing its copyrights per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. All links to K- Lite were to be disabled or removed.
K- Lite is, of course, not owned by the corporation that owns Kazaa. K- Lite is not owned by anybody. It is a freeware response to the obtrusive, secretive Kazaa, which, unknown to its users, embeds spyware into their customers' computers and feeds the data to its sister corporation.
It seems a little ironic that a company whose chief function is facilitating the sharing of copyrighted material and thereby subverting traditional copyright law, would take some a heavy hand to protect its its brand.
A connection: Twice while downloading from K- Lite my computer revolted and I had to reinstall my network drivers to get back on the web. Figuring my K- Lite software had somehow been corrupted I decided to dump the software and start anew. While reinstalling K-Lite, my computer once again shutdown, forcing me to reinstall my network devices. I am not a computer whiz, but could there be a connection in K- Lite's sudden loopiness, and the original Kazaa reigning in its "copyrights."

No comments: